Plumbing Permit

With any plumbing work, there is a danger of cross-connection and contamination of the water supply if not done properly and inspected to meet plumbing code regulation.

Issued To

  • A licensed plumber who is contracted to do the work or homeowners who own and occupy a residential property. 

Icon of computer mouse pointer clickingOnline Application

Licensed contractors and homeowners (who occupy the home) can apply online for projects, including, but not limited to:

  • New construction
  • Remodel
  • Water Heaters & Softeners
  • Plumbing Fixtures
  • Sewer Repair
  • Backflow Preventer (exclusively online)

Icon of two pieces of paperPaper/Mailed Application

Additional Requirements

  • Permits for commercial properties may require a plan review. 
  • Permits are required when:
    • Replacing fixtures or traps “breaks the seal” on the drain system. Fixtures include but aren't limited to:             
      • Sinks: kitchen, bath, bar, including replacing traps
      • Garbage disposals
      • Mop sinks, laundry tubs
      • Toilets
      • Showers, bath tubs
      • Sump pumps
      • Hot water heaters—water softeners
    • Any instance of running new pipelines


  • Fees are listed on permit applications


Questions? Contact

Building Inspections Department
100 Civic Center Parkway, Burnsville, Minn. 55337